Saturday, September 05, 2015

Changing a View

I
This antique truck is in view outside the dining window. I like this old truck the way it is, but I had a little creative fun with it today. 

Around these parts, every farm keeps an old truck ( even if it is not used anymore) for sentimental reasons or for the historical value.

My sewing this week consisted of making curtains for the windows.  I cannot show you the inside of the cab area yet because there are a few more things I want to straighten inside. Since one of the windows had a crack in it, some wheat seed blew in and I have to remove that crop of wheat that is growing in the seat!

The curtains were installed  and next, the window box was wired to the handle of the door that does not open. The other door still works okay.

The refreshment area changed the scene well enough.

There is a canopy on the back, made by placing an old table cloth over a folding canopy frame.


There is still work to be done in the back, so I can't show it yet.  I am trying to decide what to put under the canopy.  If I absent mindedly lock myself out of the house, it would be good to have somewhere to go, so maybe I should furnish it well.

Such a nice contrast between that rusty truck and this fine china.


It did actually occur to me to do a sketch of this but after noticing all the details of the picture, I decided I didn't want to be a serious artist after all.

You will find some very pretty ideas for old vehicles and campers on Pinterest. Try looking for shabby trucks and see the innovative things people are doing!

Here is the new view, which will stay that way as long as the weather is calm.

While I was playing around with this view and making decisions about what to do with the truck, I remembered an old poem by Edgar Guest.  He was the poet of optimism. Certainly everyone, during some time in their life experiences doubts that can stop their ideas from becoming reality.  I think the third stanza in this poem is perfect!

It Couldn't Be Done

By Edgar Guest


Somebody said that it couldn’t be done,
    But, he with a chuckle replied
That "maybe it couldn’t," but he would be one
    Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried.
So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
    On his face. If he worried he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
    That couldn’t be done, and he did it.

Somebody scoffed: "Oh, you’ll never do that;
    At least no one has done it";
But he took off his coat and he took off his hat,
    And the first thing we knew he’d begun it.
With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin,
    Without any doubting or quiddit,
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
    That couldn’t be done, and he did it.

There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,
    There are thousands to prophesy failure;
There are thousands to point out to you one by one,
    The dangers that wait to assail you.
But just buckle it in with a bit of a grin,
    Just take off your coat and go to it;
Just start to sing as you tackle the thing
    That "couldn’t be done," and you’ll do it.


I found a very interesting story about the life of Edgar Guest and how he came to write verse. Paste this link in your browser to read it: 
http://allpoetry.com/Edgar-Albert-Guest









Comments on this post are disabled.lease comment on the current post.

11 comments:

Ms.Tierra said...

That hanging flower planter is a very cute idea that you accomplished. Great way to change a view. Now it's a useful and beautiful little space.

Mrs. W said...

Love this! What a fine thing to do! And with fall coming, and the color of that truck, I can totally see some warm plaids and pumpkins and mums out there adorning your table and draped over the side of that truck bed. We have an old vehicle that hubs doesn't want to part with, but its in our driveway and I can't do anything nice at all with it.

anonymous said...

That is quite ingenious to make something positive out of something annoying.

I read that some ladies are purposely buying old beat-up camp trailers and remodeling the interior to look like 1950s style homes with a very feminine flair. These ladies even form all women camp groups that travel from park to park camping together. They call this glamorous camping, "Glamping".
I have seen some real pretty themes. A Sheik's tent with drapings and hanging lamps, some have a western theme, some even have a very Victorian theme. All very feminine.
It all boils down to women wanting to make beauty to look at.

Maybe you could attach an awning over the door and use it for a guest room. I love the planterbox on the door handle.

I like that poem. My husband's mother has a little saying of things she doesn't like to do when she must do them, "nothing to it, but to do it".

Thank you for sharing. You just made my day! ;)
Janet.

Polly said...

This is such a cute fix. I think seasonal decor around the truck sounds like fun, too (pumpkins and mums in autumn...maybe Christmas lights?? that might be overboard, but I kind of like the idea!).

This is a perfect example of "bloom where you're planted." How inspiring.

Lydia said...

Thank you for the good ideas!

magnoliasntea said...

You've worked a wonder on the brown truck. The pink you used looks so pretty with the brown and changed the scene beautifully. Have a wonderful day

Lynn said...

Oh my...how I can't wait to share your wonderful post and poem with a close friend who has old trucks!!!!

Stephanie said...

Dearest Lydia, your truck looks absolutely darling! What a clever and beautiful idea...now I wish I had an old broken-down truck in my yard {{smiles}}

Have a blessed week! Hugs

Linda said...

This so so creative and cute! But, I have to ask,what did your husband think?
Linda

Ms.Tierra said...

Lady Lydia, are your old articles where you interviewed housewives on L.A.F. still available?

SharonR said...

What a clever idea! I'll have to go to pinterest and see what you are talking about on there. I type our church bulletin, and it just so happens that I used this very poem for yesterday's bulletin! Edgar A. Guest is a favorite of mine. I'll go look up that link to how he came to write verse. Can't wait to see the rest of your antique truck creation.